Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

17 February 2014

Manicure Monday (51): These Broken Stars


Hello! Manicure Monday is a weekly feature where I mash up my love of nail polish and reading together to showcase one of my current reads along with a matching manicure. Enjoy!

Hi, guys. Sorry this post is so late. The weekend was super busy and I didn't get to take my MM pics until this morning. Good thing I have today off for President's Day. I love having a random day off. Catching up on some blog things but then heading off to hang out with Alethea and then some reading tonight. So, without further adieu, let's check out today's manicure!

As you can see, today I have These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. Many thanks to Kimberly at The Windy Pages for getting me a signed copy a couple of weeks ago.


This book has a beautiful space themed cover, so what else to do but a galaxy manicure? Galaxy nails are actually really easy to do but look way more complicated. You can search the internet for "galaxy manicure" and you'll come up with lots of tutorials. All you need is some nail polish, a makeup sponge and a little patience.


I used a lot of colors in my manicure, but you can get away with using less. I was just trying to be super matchy and used a bunch of colors, even though I think a few of them don't even know up.  First I painted one thick coat of Kleancolor Black Creme onto all my nails (any black creme or dark color will work though). Then I sponged on the other shades in random patterns to try to create a "galaxy" look to my nails. You really don't have to be super precise with this. Shades used were (it's long):
  • China Glaze Blue Year's Eve (dark metallic blue)
  • Sinful Colors My Buoyfriend (med blue/purple creme)
  • Spa Ritual Rhythm of Life (dark metallic green)
  • China Glaze Four Leaf Clover (med green creme)
  • Cult Nails Tempest (white creme)
  • Urban Outfitters Silver Holo (silver, used very little just to add highlights)
  • China Glaze Fairy Dust (fine holo glitter for "stars")
  • Milani Beach Front (light blue metallic)


Once all the fun sponging was done, I went back with a toothpick to make the bigger stars. I don't think you can really tell but I used two colors for it. First I put down Milani Beach Front (a light blue) in small dots where I wanted stars. Then I went back with my white creme and did an additional dot on top of the blue). Next, I added more tiny stars with China Glaze Fairy Dust, a super fine holo glitter. I just dabbed this on in certain spots on my nails because I didn't want to overwhelm the look with too much glitter. Then I slapped some top coat over everything and you have awesome looking galaxy nails.


Hopefully that did not sound too complicated because it's really not. Overall I really like this manicure, though I wish my greens had showed up a bit more. I think I put too many other colors on top of them. I just started the book so I don't have a real opinion on it yet but so far, it's pretty good and I am hoping to read more tonight.

Hope you all enjoyed. Have a lovely week!





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.