Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

17 March 2014

Manicure Monday (55): The Gone-Away World


Hello and welcome to Manicure Monday, a weekly feature where I meld my love of reading with my love of nail polish and share a current read along with a matching book manicure.

Hello hello, everyone. This weekend just flew by. I saw the Veronica Mars movie and loved it. I actually saw a test screening months ago, but it was really nice to see the final product. It's also been crazy warm here so I've been enjoying the outdoors a bit. Not much reading was done, but I hope to catch up this week.On with the manicure!


This week's book is The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway. It's not the most inspiring of covers, as you can see, but it was the only book I was reading this weekend so I used my imagination. I decided to do a simple gradient with two colors, hot pink and lime green.

I started off with one coat of a basic white polish (OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls) to give the gradient a nice base and to help the neon colors pop. I taped off my cuticles using Scotch tape to minimize cleanup later. Then, using a makeup sponge, I painted Hard Candy Pretty in Punk (hot pink) and Orly Fresh (lime green) directly onto the sponge, making sure that the colors overlapped. Next I gently rolled and patted the sponge onto each nail, reapplying the polish when necessary. I had to do this a few times on each nail until I built up sufficient opacity. 


While it was still slightly wet, I put on one coat of top coat to blend the colors and seal everything in. I took off the tape and cleaned up my cuticles using a small nail brush and some acetone. 


And that's it. While this isn't the most interesting cover or manicure, I like how this gradient came out. I am not usually very good at gradients but I think this came out well and the colors are eye searing, which is what I like. :)
Has anyone read this yet? It's this month's book club pick and I can't tell what kind of a book it is yet. Seems sci-fi but also Western with highly stylized writing. It's a whopper at over 500 pages but I am trying to finish before my meeting in 9 days. We'll see what happens.

I hope you liked today's manicure. It has green in it so I am all set for St. Patt's Day tomorrow. Have a great week, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.