Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

02 June 2014

Manicure Monday (65): Shadow Kin


Hello and thanks for checking out Manicure Monday, a weekly post that showcases my love of reading and nail polish. Each week I'll show you one of my current reads along with a matching book manicure. 

Hi, everyone. I hope that Monday has been treating you well.  My manicure today was inspired by Shadow Kin, the first book in the Half-Light series by MJ Scott. I picked this up on a whim at the library last week. My library's sci-fi/urban fantasy section is pretty sad but this caught my eye. I finished it last night and really liked it. I am definitely going back for the other books in the series. 

Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

I started off with a base of 2 coats of American Apparel Manila which, as you may have guessed, is the color of a Manila envelope. Next I wanted to recreate the worn, textured look of the cover background. Using several shades of brown (Zoya Louise, Zoya Flynn), red (Knoll Knoll Red), Manila and a beauty sponge, I dabbed bits of color onto my nail until I achieved the look I wanted.  

Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

The cover also has these fun splashes of red (for blood I presume) near the top of the cover. Using a small mixing straw and a orange-y red cream (Knoll Knoll Red) I blew polish onto my nails for a splattered effect. I still need some practice on splattering because I tend to blow big blobs of color all over the place instead of a nice splatter. But I managed to do alright. In hindsight I probably should have done thus after I drew in the spires for a more three dimensional look. 

Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

Next, I painted the spires that are along the bottom edge of the cover into my nails. I used American Apparal Pinto for the light brown and Zoya Louise for the dark brown. After everything was fully dry I sealed it all in with top coat and that was it!

Shadow Kin by M.J. Scott

I was thinking of incorpirating some of the black leather into the manicure but I got kind of lazy and decided to just do them all the same. I like how this one turned out. It looks like I have a little city on my nails. 

Thanks for checking out this week's manicure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.