Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

28 April 2014

Manicure Monday (60): Heart of Steel


Hi and welcome to Manicure Monday, a feature that combines my love of reading and nail polish. Each week I will showcase one of my current reads along with a matching book manicure. Enjoy!

Hello again. I am very sad that the weekend is over. Nothing really exciting is happening this week so I just plan to chill out (and work of course). April was a super crazy month and I am glad that it's over and things are finally calming down. This week's MM features Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook. This is the second book in the Iron Seas series and I am loving it. Brook is a really fantastic writer I love that there is so much incredible world building as well as great romance. I really hope that Brook comes out my way someday so that I can meet her. Anyways, let's check out this manicure.

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

For my index and middle finger I wanted to mimic the look and texture of the cover. It's mostly made up of dark browns and blues so I started off with a base Essie Cocoa Martini (dark brown). Using a makeup sponge, I lightly dabbed Fingerpaints Artistic Azure (metallic blue) over the nail unevenly to mimic the mottled look of the cover. 

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

Next I used a stamping plate and Wet N Wild Grey's Anatomy to stamp on the gears. I used Cheeky plate CH-33 which I also used in my original manicure for The Iron Duke. There aren't really a ton of steampunk stamping plates out there. After stamping the gears, I went back in with the makeup sponge and lightly dabbed over it with the blue again to help the gears blend in.

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

Next I wanted to create a stormy sky on my ring and pinkie fingers. I started with 2 coats of Essence Movie Stars (med grey creme). Then I used a makeup brush to sponge on Cult Nails Tempest (white creme) to create the clouds. I put on top coat while it was still a little wet to help blend the colors together. After that I used acrylic paints to paint the airship. It's the best airship and it kind of blob-y but it was the best I could do. :)

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

For my thumb I wanted to do something a little different and my eye was drawn the the leather armband on the cover. In the book, these are used to ward of zombie bites. I used 2 coats of OPI 4 In the Morning from the Gwen Stefani collection as my base. It's a black with a satin finish which was perfect for the leather. Then, using a dotting tool and OPI Love.Angel.Music.Baby (gold), I dotted on the studs in a V formation.

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

I like this manicure a lot even though my airship is kind of sad. I did this one really on the fly and wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it until I did it. The book is awesome as well and I am happy to have a manicure to commemorate it.

I hope you guys liked today's manicure. Have you read this series yet? If you haven't, you really, really must. I love it so much and I think it has something for everyone. Go get it. Now. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.