Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

18 January 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say?: Love Triangles



Hi and welcome to a new feature here on Nite Lite called What Does the Bookworm Say? that I am doing with my friends at The Reader's AntidoteElegantly Bound Books and The Windy Pages. We often get into bookish discussions over email and thought it would be a fun idea to discuss these topics as a bi-weekly feature on our blogs. Hopefully you find these topics interesting and learn a little about the blogger behind the review. This week's topic is Love triangles: Love 'em or hate 'em?

I have a love/hate relationship with love triangles. On one had, if they're done well, with well developed characters and relationships, I think they can be really great - adding drama and complexity to a story. On the other hand, when done badly, they seem gimmicky and serve no real purpose. They also usually involve a girl who, until then, hasn't had much luck in the love department who suddenly becomes the object of attention to two super hot males. I'm all for fantasy but sometimes this is just too much.

Examples:

Good - I like the love triangle in Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. I can see why Calaena would be attracted to both Dorian and Chaol. They are both well written characters with both their weaknesses and strengths and I can see why she would be attracted to each of them for different reasons. I can also see why she would be attractive to them.

Bad - So don't throw stones at me but I really did not like the love triangle in the Twilight series. I never understood why Jacob kept hanging around Bella when she treated him so poorly and clearly was never going to be with him. And I think the bigger mystery was always why either of the two hot male leads wanted to be with Bella. Sorry, I know. I like the series but the whole triangle thing was always super annoying.

So that's what I think about love triangles. What do you think? Do you have a love triangle that you think will change my mind about them?

Be sure to check out the other lovely bloggers who are also participating - The Reader's AntidoteElegantly Bound Books and The Windy Pages. If you have a topic you'd like us to cover, just leave it in the comments below. Thanks!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.