Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

25 October 2013

Uncovered (85): The Night Guest


When I go shopping for books I will actually take pictures of awesome book covers that I want to remember. The Night Guest is one such cover. I spotted it several weeks ago while shopping at Mysterious Galaxy and had to grab a picture of it. I did not have the funds to buy it just then but it's definitely on my wish list.

This cover has all of the things I really like in a book cover - bright colors, illustration, fantastical and somewhat creepy imagery. I also really like it when one part of the illustration forms another part - how the images of the jungle form the face of of the tiger. The actual book cover also had a really nice raised texture. I should have looked at the inside cover to see if there was anything special, but I totally forgot.  Here is the synopsis for the book.
Ruth is widowed, her sons are grown, and she lives in an isolated beach house outside of town. Her routines are few and small. One day a stranger arrives at her door, looking as if she has been blown in from the sea. This woman—Frida—claims to be a care worker sent by the government. Ruth lets her in.

Now that Frida is in her house, is Ruth right to fear the tiger she hears on the prowl at night, far from its jungle habitat? Why do memories of childhood in Fiji press upon her with increasing urgency? How far can she trust this mysterious woman, Frida, who seems to carry with her her own troubled past? And how far can Ruth trust herself?
This actually sounds a little spooky. I can't tell if it's going to be a drama or some kind of horror story. Guess I will have to read it to find out. Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.