Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

01 July 2012

Stacked (10): Highlights from ALA


Hi, everyone and welcome to another week of Stacked. This week I am going to highlight some of the books that I am most excited to read that I received at ALA last weekend. While I am excited about all of the books I received, there are definitely some that are on the short list of what I want to read first. Thank you again to all of the wonderful publishers and their reps for being so generous and knowledgeable about their books.  I ended up putting a lot of books of my to-read list after talking to a rep. 

First up are my adult fiction books. I was able to snag a few that  I really wanted to read and am super happy about.




The Queen is Dead by Kate Locke - This one looks like a lot of fun with a steampunk element to it.

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller - I knew nothing about this one but was saw that it was being compared to The Passage and The Road. I started talking to the rep at Random House who really loved it and she was talking about how awesome it was. I was mentally putting it in my TBR pile when she said she might have a copy. And she did and she was kind enough to give it to me. Thank you, Random House!

The 500 by Matthew Quirk - I have been hearing great things about this one for awhile now. Sounds like a great thriller. 

Gods of Gotham by Lindsay Sands - My friends know that I have been wanting to read this one for awhile now. The last day of ALA Penguin was selling their books for great prices and I snatched this one up for $5. 

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon - I am a huge fan of Michael Chabon and was totally psyched to pick this one up. No idea what it's about but I will read anything he writes.

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness - I was so excited that Deb Harkness was signing at ALA. But I was even more blown away by the fact that they got an early shipment of the finished books and sold them at her signing. Can't wait to start this one.

Next up are the YA books!



Fathomless by Jackson Pearce - I had to buy one of Jackson's other book to get this ARC but it was so worth it. I am a big fan of her fairy tale series and have been dying to read her mermaid book.

Foretold (Anthology edited by Carrie Ryan) - This includes a story by RICHELLE MEAD! The other authors in this anthology ain't too shabby either. :)

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - I <3 Maggie Stiefvater.

Blessed by Tonya Hurley - I was kind of on the hunt for this one. I fell in love with the cover and am hoping the insides are as good as the outside. 

Soulbound by Heather Brewer - This is another one I've been dying to get my hands on. I am a huge fan of the Vlad Tod series by Brewer and this one looks excellent.

Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride - I loved Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and want to see what happens next for Sam and his friends.

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman - This was my holy grail book for ALA - the one I pretty much wanted more than any other. I was one of the last people to get a copy. 

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - This is the other book that I was dying to get at ALA. I missed Marissa on Sat but managed to snag a copy on Sun.

One other item that I was really happy to get at ALA was some Grisha nail polish from Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone). I am a nail polish and book junkie so it's fun when the two obsessions overlap.

hard to tell but it's an awesome grey creme

Those are the ALA books that I am most excited about. Thank you again to all of the wonderful publishers and reps who were so kind and friendly and make ALA a truly unforgettable event. 

Books I got not from ALA:
Once Burned by Jeaniene Forst - Finally we get Vlad's story!
Mystic City by Theo Lawrence - From NetGalley. This one has a great cover and really cool sounding premise.
Soul Weaver by Hailey Edwards - Another NetGalley title. I just thought the synopsis looked like it could be fun. 

Yay, books! My TBR is seriously full right now but I love it. What in your mailbox this week?




7 comments:

  1. Amazing books!! I'm jealous of The Raven Boys, Blessed, Soulbound, and ESPECIALLY Mystic City! I'm absolutely dying to read that! It's insane. I requested it but haven't heard back yet. Fingers and toes doubly crossed!

    My Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got a reply back pretty fast, ashley. i think there is a good chance you'll get it. :)

      Delete
  2. What? You got Blessed? That's pretty awesome! I did't see it anywhere. I want to get Mystic City from NetGalley but I'm so torn! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that was the one i actually asked for on friday night. he actually pulled it out for me. mystic city looks fun so i just went for it.

      Delete
  3. Raven Boys, Scarlet, Unwholly. Raven Boys, Scarlet, Unwholly. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I don't know where to start... I am so excited about Fathomless and The Raven Boys. The nail polish is awesome! I do my nails like every other day so that would be a highlight for me too. I LOVED Once Burned. It was so good. I hope you enjoy all:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty awesome stack! Unwholly and Scarlet are the two I'd dive into first. The nail polish is so pretty too- I like creative and useful swag like that. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.