Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

12 July 2012

First Grave On The Right - Review


Publication date: 01 Feb 2011 by St. Martin's Press
ISBN 10/13: 0312662750 | 9780312662752
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository | Indiebound

Category: Adult Urban Fantasy
Keywords: Urban fantasy, grim reaper, ghosts, private investigator, funny
Format: Hardcover, paperback, eBook, audiobook
Source: Library


Synopsis:

A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper.

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

Review:

I don’t think I have ever laughed so much reading a book in my life! I want Charley Davidson to be my best friend. She’s the type of person who would make any occasion more fun, be it a barroom brawl, a slumber party, or a funeral. How can you not love a woman who names her breasts “Danger” and “Will Robinson?” She takes snark and sarcasm to a whole new level. But she isn’t all quick quips and jokes. She’s also incredibly brave, smart and compassionate. She helps people, even in the face of extreme skepticism and hostility.

The murder plot drew me in and kept me guessing. The bickering ghost lawyers were pretty funny in their attempts to help Charley solve their murders. I admit I was a bit creeped out by Charley’s “roommate” so it’s a good thing he lives in Charley’s apartment and not mine. Cookie is a fantastic character. A little crazy but also totally sweet. I wasn’t a huge fan of Garett. He was openly hostile to Charley and then changed his mind a few times. He just came off as somewhat obnoxious.

And then there’s Reyes. Dark, intense, and super hot, he is another mystery that Charley needs to solve. What she finds out isn’t what I was expecting and I can’t wait to see how it all plays out.

One of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much was the humor in it. The snark and sarcasm was right up my alley and I loved Charley’s great one-liners and dialogue. There were a few times when the jokes felt a little forced but, overall, I enjoyed the humor a lot.

With a unique twist on the Grim Reaper story and a heroine you can’t help but love, First Grave on the Right is a must read for fans of urban fantasy and smart writing.



Visit the author online at www.daryndajones.com and follow her on Twitter @darynda

3 comments:

  1. I just recently marked this to read. Thanks for your great review. I can't wait to dig in. I see that the latest installment is due out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unsure if to read this book or not, your review really helped make the decision. I always love reading books that have humor, seeing that this is one of them makes me wanna push it on my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added this to my TBR list. The synopsis is good and I love reading books that has humor on it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.