Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

20 April 2012

Movie Review: Lockout

Lockout
Genre: Sci Fi, Action, Thriller

Directed by: James Mather and Stephen St. Leger
Starring: Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare
Release date: April 13, 2012

IMDBofficial site

Synopsis:

A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

Review:

We don't usually do movie reviews here on Nite Lite because, let's face it, I can barely keep up with book reviews and I see a lot of movies. However, I went out to a movie last night and thought it might be fun to do a quick review on it.

Lockout is exactly what it looks like - a ridiculously implausible and over the top sci-fi action movie. The basic premise is this. There's a space prison for society's worst convicts. At MS-One, inmates are but in what is called stasis for the duration of their sentence. Basically they're put to sleep but not everyone's mind comes out intact when they are taken out of stasis. Maggie Grace, the president's daughter, is there on a humanitarian visit when all hell breaks loose and the inmates are set free. Guy Peace, an ex-CIA agent accused of murder is sent to retrieve Maggie before they have to blow up the prison.

I knew what I was getting when I walked into this movie. I wanted something fun with lots of action and I was not disappointed. Pearce was hilarious as the super snarky Snow, with one liners being his main contribution to the film. That, and shooting things. He also wears a fantastic shirt through most of the movie that reads "Warning: Offensive" which is a pretty accurate summation of his character.

Maggie Grace does a good job as the plucky daughter of the President of the United States. Her character is likable if somewhat cliche. I think she does the best that she can in the role. There are no real surprises with her but holds she her own against Pearce. Peter Stormare also co-stars as a jerk government official who is just dying to throw Peace in jail and plays it well. I always remember him as Abruzzi on Prison Break though and he kind of creeps me out.

Unfortunately the movie is full of plot holes. I found myself talking to the screen and throwing up my hands in frustration more than once. There are events and plot devices that just make no sense at all. I won't spoil anything but I really felt at times that I could have written this movie and it probably would have made more sense. That said, I tried to go with the flow and just enjoy the movie for what it was. If you're looking for a fun movie with some good actors and lots of action, then I think you'll enjoy Lockout.

Will you be seeing Lockout or passing on it?




8 comments:

  1. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but all I want is a lot of action!

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such glorious ridiculousness! So is it wrong that I'm kind of hoping they make a second movie w/ Pearce as Snow? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a little wrong but i'll still go see it with you. :)

      Delete
  3. I think I may see this one. I've been wanting a good popcorn action movie and since it also has a sci-fi vibe, it's perfect for my mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is definitely a good popcorn movie. i hope you like it!

      Delete
    2. Ok, finally saw this. I really think Guy Pearce saved this movie. His one liner deliveries were perfect. Without him and his character, this would have been horrible. :)

      Lee @shewolfreads

      Delete
    3. hi, lee! yes, guy pearce definitely made this movie. he was so deadpan and his lines were pretty great. man my friend and i really want that shirt.

      Delete

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.