Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

31 December 2013

2013 Year End Wrap-Up


Happy New Year's Eve, everyone. I know we're cutting it a bit close but we couldn't ring in the new year without a small wrap up post for 2013. Below are some of Thuy and Liv's favorite reads of 2013. Thanks for making 2013 at Nite Lite a great one. We hope to have more posts and fun things to share with you all in 2014. :)

From Liv

2013 was a year of taking my love a reading to a new level.  I started blogging at Nite Lite and started keeping track of what I was reading. I managed to read 37 books over the course of the year and I hope to log in more next year.

Since I am still catching up with books/authors/series, not all of the titles below are from 2013.  However, here’s the breakdown from my year of reading (you can see all that I read on GoodReads, click here):

* 17 paranormal novels (vampires, shape shifters, angels, and more)
* 9 novellas (contemporary romance - 6 were holiday novellas)
* 8 Contemporary Sports Romance
* 3 New Adults (Contemporary Romance)

Favorite Holiday Novella:  A Rare Gift by Jaci Burton - I loved the relationship between Wyatt and Calliope.  A wonderful holiday story with just the right amount of sexy.

Favorite Novella: Try Me (Take a Chance #1) by Diane Alberts - Jeremy is one of those guys who can quickly become a book boyfriend.  And he was so perfect with Erica.

Favorite Sports Romance:  Playing to Win by Jaci Burton - Considering that I watch one football game a year, it seems odd that my favorite sports romance would be about football but I guess football players are hot?! I seem to enjoy the “not really a bad boy” story and Cole and Savannah were perfect for each other.

Favorite New Adult: Long After by Cheryl McIntyre - I loved, loved. loved Chase.  I think I could have read this one over and over again for a week.  Such a sweet love story.

Favorite Paranormal Romance: 
Obsession by Jennifer Armentrout - Hot alien sex?! I loved Serena’s snarkiness and the way she took on Hunter with all of his domineering arrogance.

Favorite Book Boyfriends: Chase from Long After or Rhage from BDB.

Favorite Series: Play by Play from Jaci Burton and the Sometimes series by Cheryl McIntyre

Five (early) 2014 Releases that I am waiting on:

Hope Flames by Jaci Burton (January 7, 2014)

Fighting for Irish (Fighting for Love #3) by Gina L. Maxwell (January 13, 2014) 

The Cowboy’s Mail Order Bride by Carolyn Brown (February 4, 2014)

All You Need is Love: Green Mountain Book 1 by Marie Force (February 4, 2014)

The King by JR Ward (April 1, 2014)


From Thuy

2013 was a crazy year for me. I read a lot of books though I fell short of my goal of 100 books (I think I made it somewhere in the 80s). But I read a lot of really good books this year and found some new to me authors and series. It was a good year.

Favorite Holiday Novella:  A Kiss Before Midwinter by Courtney Milan - Milan consistently writes well thought out, emotional novellas.

Favorite Novella: Beautiful Bitch by Christina Lauren - Loved this short follow up to Beautiful Bastard.

Favorite Sports Romance:  Seducing Cinderella by Gina Maxwell - I read very few sports romances in 2013 but this one was a fave. Great characters and very sexy.

Favorite New Adult: Losing It by Cora Carmack - This is the only NA book I read this year but I really enjoyed it. It's a very sweet story. I have a huge list of NA books to read next year, including more of Carmack's books.

Favorite Contemporary Romance: Love Irresistibly (FBI #4) by Julie James - I am not a huge contemporary romance reader but I am a big fan of the FBI series. Finally got to see Cade get his HEA.

Favorite Paranormal Romance: 
Lover At Last by JR Ward - I have been waiting for Quinn and Blay's story for so long, and this did not disappoint.
Winterblaze by Kristen Callihan - I love all of Callihan's but especially loved Poppy and Win's story.

Favorite Book Boyfriends: Lord, so many. I'll go with Adrian Ivashkov from the Bloodlines series and Jack Talent from the Darkest London series. Oh - and Curran from Kate Daniels. What can I say? I like moody book boyfriends.

Favorite Young Adult: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - I don't know how she did it but Scarlet is even better than Cinder. Runner up is Dark Triumph by RL LaFevers.

Favorite Audiobook: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - Fantastic story and narrator. Kristine Hvam really brought the book to life and I am itching to listen to Days of Blood and Starlight.

Favorite Urban Fantasy: Magic Rises by Kate Daniels - Gah. Love this series so much and I devoured this one after snagging an early copy at Comic-Con.

Favorite Series: Definitely the Kate Daniels series. I waited so long to start this series and it was just as good as everyone said it would be.


Five 2014 Releases that I am waiting on:

The King by JR Ward (April 1, 2014)

Cress by Marissa Meyer (Feb 4, 2014)

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews (July 29, 2014)

Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh (June 3, 2014)

Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd (Jan 28, 2014)

Those are some of our favorite picks for this year. Did any of your faves make our list? Have a safe and happy New Years, everyone. We'll see you in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.