Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

30 March 2013

Seducing Cinderella - Review


Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love #1)
by Gina L. Maxwell
Publication date: 20 July 2012 by Entangled Publishing
ISBN 13: 2940014977678
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Category: Adult Contemporary Romance
Keywords: Romance, Sports, Fairytale, Cinderella
Format: Paperback, Mass Market Paperback, eBook, Audiobook
Source: Purchased

Synopsis from Entangled Publishing:

He’ll teach her the art of seduction…for a price.

Mixed martial arts fighter Reid Andrews’s chance to reclaim his title as light heavyweight champ is shattered when he’s injured only months before the rematch. To make sure he’s healed in time, his trainer sends him to recuperate under a professional’s care—Reid’s best friend’s little sister, all grown up.

Disorganized and bookish Lucie Miller needs some professional help of her own. She’d do anything to catch the eye of a doctor she’s crushed on for years, so when Reid offers seduction lessons in exchange for 24/7 conditioning for the biggest fight of his career, Lucie jumps at the chance.

Soon Reid finds himself in the fight of his life…winning Lucie’s heart before she gives it to someone else.

Review:

Romance novels tend to possess several elements for the reader's enjoyment.  Many readers seem to expect the hero to be hot and sexy and have a balance between being a bad boy while falling madly for a heroine who does not recognize how special or attractive she is.  Of course there needs to be chemistry and some kind of conflict between the hero and heroine to round out the story.  Writers then mix in a bit of humor or drama and angst depending on their own personal preferences.  Each reader then searches for just the right mix that works for them. 

Very seldom do I expect a book that has the perfect balance of everything I like, but I do search for ones that will hold my attention from the beginning.  Better yet, give me a female heroine that doesn't drive me completely insane and a male hero who is hot, sexy, tough but not crude. Throw in some humor, a few touching moments and I am on my way.  If the author can manage a few friends for the main characters that I like, all the better.  Gina Maxwell's debut novel Seducing Cinderella is one of those romance novels that worked for me.  Yes, I have a definite book boyfriend crush on the very hot, sexy, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter Reid Andrews.  His relationship with the female heroine, Lucie Miller, is sweet with just the right amount of hot, sexy scenes.

Since I had read the blurb about this book, I already knew there would be "eye-rolling".  Seriously, a MMA fighter as the fairy godmother in this make-over story who is clearly being set-up as Prince Charming? And the offering of seduction lessons? Yes, I could see the where this was going.  However, the question for me, could Maxwell make the chemistry and relationship between Reid and Lucie enough that I would happily ignore the stuff that causes me to say "yeah, right".  Yes, Maxwell managed to have me rooting for Reid and Lucie and their relationship and their Happily Ever After throughout the story.  There are also several scenes that I just love going back to read again.              

Remember how I mentioned that if an author can throw in a few friends that you can like as a reader, then all the better?  Well, Vanessa is Lucie's best friend and one of my favorite side characters in the story.  As a result, I am looking forward to reading the second book in the Fighting for Love SeriesRules of Entanglement which comes out on March 31, 2013 in eBook according to Maxwell's website.  The story follows Lucie's brother Jax and her best friend, Vanessa.
 
Check out the Character Interview with Reid Andrews over on Becca the Bibliophile.
 
Check out the Book Trailer:





Visit the author online at www.ginalmaxwell.com , Like her on Facebook, follow her on Pinterest, follow her on Twitter @GinaLMaxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.