Hello! If you're looking for Nite Lite Book Reviews, please note that we've moved to www.nitelitebookreviews.com. If you already subscribe to the blog, our feed has been updated so you don't have to do anything. Thanks for reading and hope to see you at our new home!

07 July 2014

Manicure Monday (69): Dorothy Must Die


Hi and welcome to Manicure Monday, a weekly feature that combines my love of nail polish and reading. Each Monday, I'll showcase one of my current reads along with a matching book manicure. 

Hello, hello! Has everyone recovered from their BBQ hangover yet? I admit that I am not looking forward to working a full work week. :( Today's manicure features Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. I have been meaning to read this one for a while now and have only now found the time to start it. Unfortunately my reading time was pretty limited this weekend and I haven't gotten very far but I am liking it so far. 

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page

This was a fun manicure to do since there were a lot of visually interesting elements on this cover to play with. I knew I wanted to have the dress on my hand so I started off with two coats of white polish (OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls) on my middle finger. Then I used black acrylic paint to paint the black around the dress shape. I would have just painted the white onto the black but I wasn't sure if the white was going to be opaque enough to cover well over a dark color. I did the same for the bow tie image. Then I went back in with some blue acrylic paint and painted on the gingham pattern. 

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page


On my index finger, I wanted to create the yellow brick road. I started with two coats of the super sparkly Zoya Kerry. Next I used a small brush and black acrylic paint to paint in the lines of the brick. I finished off my index and middle fingers with a bit of red splatter art with Seche Signature (red) to create some blood splatters. 

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page

For my pinkie, I could not resist using China Glaze Ruby Pumps, which was inspired by the red slippers from The Wizard of Oz.


Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page

For my thumb, I wanted to paint the white heels from the cover of the book. I used two coats of Wet N Wild Black Creme as a base. Once that was dry, I went back in with white acrylic paint to draw in the shoes. The shoes on the cover are lightly speckled with black so I added a bit of black to my nails by very lightly sponging some black polish on with a beauty sponge. I put some top coat over everything and the manicure was complete!

My favorite finger from this manicure is the yellow brick road nail. It just came out exactly how I wanted it to, which almost never happens. Hope you guys enjoyed today's look. If you've read this book, let me know what you think in the comments below (no spoilers please). :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! They really make our day so please don't be shy and let us know what you're thinking.